Dessert from India, a wrapped and fried pastry with almonds and raisins. Add more or less almonds or raisins depending on your taste prefrences.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a mixing bowl combine the salt, flour and ghee. Mix together well.
- 2Gradually add water and knead to form a firm dough. Cover with wet cloth and set aside.
- 3For the stuffing: Cook the coconut (use fresh or dried) sugar, milk, chopped almonds and raisins, cardamom powder, and poppy seeds(optional) till the milk evaorates.
- 4Divide the dough into 20-25 sections, roll them out into flat round pancakes. Place a spoon of stuffing at the centre and fold the pancake in half. Use a cutter to create the fluted crescent border and cut off excess dough. You can seal the edges by applying a little milk and pressing down hard.
- 5After all the karanjis are stuffed, fry them in very hot oil for 2-3 minutes or till golden brown, remove onto paper towels and allow to cool.
- 6The karanji can last for 7-8 days if stored in an air tight container.
Nutritional Facts for Karanji (Gujiya)
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1623.6
- Calories from Fat 994
- Total Fat 110.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.9 mg
- Sodium 167.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 159.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 129.0 g
- Protein 13.5 g