Recipe by kzbhansen
Dessert from India, a wrapped and fried pastry with almonds and raisins. Add more or less almonds or raisins depending on your taste prefrences.
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 liter oil (for frying)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 3 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 ounces almonds
- 6 ounces raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl combine the salt, flour and ghee. Mix together well.
- Gradually add water and knead to form a firm dough. Cover with wet cloth and set aside.
- For the stuffing: Cook the coconut (use fresh or dried) sugar, milk, chopped almonds and raisins, cardamom powder, and poppy seeds(optional) till the milk evaorates.
- Divide the dough into 20-25 sections, roll them out into flat round pancakes. Place a spoon of stuffing at the centre and fold the pancake in half. Use a cutter to create the fluted crescent border and cut off excess dough. You can seal the edges by applying a little milk and pressing down hard.
- After all the karanjis are stuffed, fry them in very hot oil for 2-3 minutes or till golden brown, remove onto paper towels and allow to cool.
- The karanji can last for 7-8 days if stored in an air tight container.