Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Michael Laughlin, Sun-Sentinal, December 12, 2007. The recipe states that this is a favorite recipe of the Qureshis. It is a traditional Pakistani curry with a rich savory taste which goes well with jasmine rice.
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 lbs chicken pieces, cut up, with bones (leg quarters preferred, each cut into three pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a nonreactive large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute about 5 minutes until golden.
- Add garlic powder and water and stir to combine.
- Then add the salt, cayenne and coriander.
- Mix well and then add the tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes 10 minutes until the mixture becomes almost a paste.
- Add the chicken and cook 30 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and serve.