Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my mom's coal country PA version of kapusta, easily adapted to be vegetarian/vegan by substituting vegetarian beans for the pork and beans.
- Heat the olive oil and melt the margarine in a large skillet.
- Cook the chopped onion until translucent. You can brown it if you like.
- Add the drained and rinsed sauerkraut and fry over medium high heat until slightly browned.
- Sprinkle liberally with paprika and not-so-liberally with garlic salt - I don't measure either so the quantities listed are approximate.
- Add the pork and beans to the pan and heat through.
- Then eat! I usually serve this with ham steaks or kielbasa.
I'd been looking for a kapusta recipe like the one my mom made years ago. This is it - at least as close as I remember! Thanks for posting it!