Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
My very German parents loved this Polish dish. It is from A Taste Of The Country Cookbook.
Make and share this Kapusta recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh trimmed, pieces pork (any type, cut in bite-size pieces)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Polish sausage (sliced in 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 quart sauerkraut (fresh preferred)
- 1⁄4 head coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Brown pork and onion in hot skillet until pork is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Combine cooked pork and onion with all other ingredients in a 5 quart Dutch oven or slow cooker. Mix lightly.
- Simmer all day.
- The longer you cook this, the better it tastes.
I'm eating this dish as I write this review :) --- THIS RECIPE IS AWESOME. I layer this in my crock pot and from bottom to top add cream of mushroom soup, two sliced potatoes, 1 pkg of mushrooms, cabbage, onion, kraut, caraway seeds, kielbasa slices, browned hot Italian sausage. Food just doesn't get any better than this. And, this freezes pretty good too! Thank you ladyfingers.
This is awesome and I strongly agree with the fact that the cream of mushroom soup neutralizes the pickled kraut flavor. It is one of my favorite recipes for fall. We sort of make it as an Octoberfest feast. However, we add about 2 cups of freshly sliced mushrooms along with potatoes and carrots. This does make your home smell like a fine German restaurant. Extreme comfort food, we are having it tonight! A great one-dish meal! Thank you so much!
YES! Having opened a large jar of sourkraut to use under the holiday cabbage rolls - your Kapusta was the perfect recipe to see to using the rest. Having made a similar dish over the years but without the caraway seed which I love - and the mushroom soup which I wasn't all too sure about but followed through and added ... loved the combination which made for wonderful comfort food at it's best. Yes another Ladyfinger winning recipe that we enjoyed and have added to my family cookbook. Thank you for sharing.