Recipe by Chuck_Roast
Thai basil makes this dish and we happened to have some in the garden that was begging to be turned into something in the Thai food group. Served with a side of steamed dumplings instead of fries and topped with spicy mayo (see basics below preparation instructions), lettuce, onion and tomato - an it's east meets west.... For a real treat make this with ground pork (preferred), ground chicken, or hamburger. Fish sauce, while not normally found in most households is optional, but recommended.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely diced
- 2 serrano peppers (seeded and finely diced)
- Thai basil, chopped fine (about 5 leaves, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (or panko or cracker crumbs)
- 1 lb ground pork
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl (microwave safe) add the fist 9 ingredients, stir and microwave for 30 seconds, Stir and microwave again until mixtures just starts to bubble. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients into sauce that has cooled and mix with hands to incorporate all ingredients.
- Place meat mixture in fridge for an hour (more or less).
- Make 4 patties and grill to medium well (no pink) in middle.
- Serve on a roll with a spicy mayo (mix some mayo with thai green curry paste, ginger garlic paste and a little honey add some shopped cilantro and or basil leaves). Top with favorite burger toppings.