Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Thai basil makes this dish and we happened to have some in the garden that was begging to be turned into something in the Thai food group. Served with a side of steamed dumplings instead of fries and topped with spicy mayo (see basics below preparation instructions), lettuce, onion and tomato - an it's east meets west.... For a real treat make this with ground pork (preferred), ground chicken, or hamburger. Fish sauce, while not normally found in most households is optional, but recommended.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely diced
- 2 serrano peppers (seeded and finely diced)
- Thai basil, chopped fine (about 5 leaves, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (or panko or cracker crumbs)
- 1 lb ground pork
- In a medium bowl (microwave safe) add the fist 9 ingredients, stir and microwave for 30 seconds, Stir and microwave again until mixtures just starts to bubble. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients into sauce that has cooled and mix with hands to incorporate all ingredients.
- Place meat mixture in fridge for an hour (more or less).
- Make 4 patties and grill to medium well (no pink) in middle.
- Serve on a roll with a spicy mayo (mix some mayo with thai green curry paste, ginger garlic paste and a little honey add some shopped cilantro and or basil leaves). Top with favorite burger toppings.