Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Pronounced kah-poh-stahsh gom-bohts. A first-rate snack.
Make and share this Kaposztas Gomboc (hungarian Cabbage Dumplings) recipe from Food.com.
- Put the cabbage in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, mix, and set it aside for a 1/2 hour.
- Cut the butter into the flour; add the salt, the egg, and enough water to form a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, roll out to 1/2" thick.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the oil, and brown the sugar.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the cabbage and brown cabbage in the skillet, stirring often (25-30 minutes).
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then spread on dough, and sprinkle with paprika and pepper.
- Roll up jelly roll style, starting on the long side.
- Cut the roll into 2" pieces, and roll each piece into a ball.
- Roll in flour, then drop one at a time into boiling salted water (do not crowd the pot).
- Dumplings will be done 3-4 minutes after they float to the surface (taste one to check for doneness; it should be moist, but not gummy in the middle).
- Remove from water with a slotted spoon and roll in the cheese.
- Place in a baking dish, and when all are finished and in the pan, sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Broil in oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
forgot to give 5 star of my review so hav added it now.