1/2 Photos of Kao Pad (Thai-Style Fried Rice)
From Sundays at Moosewood.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Choose 3-4 of the following to equal 2 1/2 cups
- 2 1/2 cups diced carrots or 2 1/2 cups green peas or 2 1/2 cups green beans, sliced diagonally in 1-inch pieces or 2 1/2 cups bell peppers, cut into short strips or 2 1/2 cups bean sprouts, blanched for 5 seconds, cooled and drained
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cooked rice (short grain)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thai sriraja chili sauce (or other hot chili paste)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1/2 lime, cut into thin wedges
- scallion, cut on diagonal
- 1Choose and prepare vegetables. Select a combination with a variety of colors.
- 2In a wok, heat the oil and stir fry the ginger and garlic until golden.
- 3Remove them with a slotted spoon and save for later.
- 4In the same oil, stir-fry the vegetables until just cooked. Add the harder ones (like carrots) first, and the tender ones (like sprouts) last.
- 5Remove the vegetables from the wok and set aside.
- 6Add the rice to the wok and heat thoroughly.
- 7With your stirring spoon, make a hole in the center of the rice, down to the wok and put in the eggs.
- 8Stir until they are pretty well set before you mix them into the rice. The more you cook the eggs before stirring them into the rice, the drier the dish will be.
- 9Add the tomatoes, the reserved ginger and garlic and the stir-fried vegetables.
- 10Finally, mix in the chili sauce, soy sauce and lime juice.
- 11For serving, top each serving with thin slices of scallions. Put thin slices of lime on the side.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kao Pad (Thai-Style Fried Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.7
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 710.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 12.4 g