Recipe by Elielia
This is my spin on this comfort food favorite. I use heavy cream and an egg instead of canned soup and half of the butter. Not only will it get rave reviews the day you serve it, but it will make great leftovers that reheat well in the microwave.
- 8 cups hash brown potatoes, frozen
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- (Note: 8 cups frozen hash brown potatoes equals 20 oz.).
- Mix the corn flakes and 2 tablespoons melted butter, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the frozen hash browns, chopped onion and cheddar cheese.
- In a separate smaller bowl mix the sour cream, heavy cream, egg, salt & pepper.
- Into the the wet mixture slowly add the 1/4 cup of melted butter, stirring as you go. This will prevent the hot butter from cooking the egg.
- When thoroughly blended, add the wet mixture to the hash brown, onion and cheese mixture, stirring to coat all the hash brown.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 non-metallic pan, top with corn flakes and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes before serving.