Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Weber's Big Book of Grilling
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (mild or hot)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 -7 lbs meaty pork spareribs, trimmed of excess fat (2-3 slabs)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground black pepper
- Make the rub: in a bowl combine the rub ingredients; mix well.
- Coat the ribs with the rub and place in a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly, place in a bowl, and refrigerate 2-8 hours.
- Make the sauce: in a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and saute the celery and onion until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour some of the sauce in a small bowl to use for basting the ribs.
- Let the ribs stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill, rib side down, over indirect medium heat until the meat is very tender and has pulled back from the ends of the bones, 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- During the last 20 minutes of grilling time, baste frequently with the small bowl of sauce.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing into individual ribs.
- Reheat the remaining sauce and serve on the side with the ribs.