Recipe by winkki
Kangaroo House Bed and Breakfast on Orcas Island, Washington (www.KangarooHouse.com) offers this as one of their specialty recipes. It is very filling and hearty, and I love the chewy texture of the grains. I can't reliably find wheat berries where I live so am not always able to prepare it exactly as written (I just increase the barley and rice to make up the difference, or add in some kasha or similar grain as a substitute.) I usually add a Tbsp or two of wheat germ, too. This is also good with dried cranberries/apricots/etc substituted for some of the raisins or with fruit (dried like dates or fresh like blueberries, yum!) served over the top at the end. This does not have anything sweet in the ingredients except the raisins; you may wish to top with honey, brown sugar, etc, although I also really like it just with butter and salt. I like cream on mine if I'm not going totally vegan, my kids like maple syrup. :)
Top Review by marilee.matheson
I liked the flavor of this but not the chewy texture. I was looking for something smoother like Cream of Wheat. So I omitted the raisins, put the grains in the blender for 1 minute on high (until they were powder), and then cooked 1/4 cup of the cereal mixture with 1 1/4 cup of boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes or so for a single serving. Wha-la! Homemade Cream of Wheat! It was great with a tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/3 cup milk.
- 591.47 ml water
- 29.58 ml flax seeds
- 78.07 ml uncooked brown rice
- 78.07 ml wheat berries
- 78.07 ml uncooked barley
- 118.29 ml golden raisin
- 118.29 ml raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil and add flax, brown rice, wheat berries and barley.
- Cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes.
- Add the raisins and golden raisins and continue to simmer, covered, for 15 minutes more or until water is absorbed and grains are desired consistency.
- Serve with your choice of toppings: butter, cream/soy milk/rice milk, honey, brown sugar, dried or fresh fruit, etc.
- This can be cooked ahead; just store in covered microwave-safe dishes and refrigerate until needed, warm to desired temperature.