Recipe by auntchelle
Traditional sauce made with a true Aussie ingredient. Will have a slightly 'gamey' flavour. This is much lower in fat (and cholesterol) than when made with beef. Due to Roo being so lean water needs to be added to keep it moist. A favourite of mine & taken from macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au
Top Review by The Flying Chef
This was excellent I served this with Recipe#295391 and it made for and absolutely superb meal. We loved the roo meat instead of beef, adds so much to the flavour and served over the stuffed pasta it was gorgeous. The only change I made was to add some garlic when cooking the onion. This is truly a wonderful sauce and I would highly recommend anyone that can purchase kangaroo meat to try this, gorgeous. Great Post
- 600 g kangaroo mincemeat
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 400 g canned tomatoes (peeled)
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 liter water
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion in oil until browned.
- Add meat, mash while cooking to break up any lumps. Cook until meat browns.
- Push tomatoes through sieve then with liquid add to meat mixture. Stir in tomato paste, herbs, water and salt and pepper.
- When sauce comes to boil, reduce heat and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
- To serve, spoon sauce over hot spaghetti and top with parmesan cheese.