Recipe by Girl from India
This is a fantastic recipe my mum's cook Kanchi gave me. She is from Nepal and has lived with us at my Mum's place for over 23 years. A great lady who took care of us as mum worked full time. I do not cook pork too much but this recipe is one of the few exceptions. Kanchi got this recipe from a lady named Philo in Goa who is also an excellent cook.
Top Review by Cathy-O
Dec 29 2006 : I use this recipe often, but bake it for several hours as described in Mean Chef's pulled pork recipe. I don't let it get to the shredded pork stage. As soon as I think it is easy to slice and tender, I remove from oven. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 1 kg boneless pork (leg pc. or low fat pcs like I do)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (give or take a little, use as much as reqd to grind the spices to a smooth paste)
- 1 garlic clove (pod)
- 2 inches ginger
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 fenugreek seeds
- 1 -2 teaspoon oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind the spices from the garlic to the fenugreek seeds in the vinegar and salt.
- Wash pork and poke with a fork Marinate the pork in ground spice paste for 2 hours at least or overnight.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle or cook till done.
- Drain fat if any.
- Slice the pork or cut into chunks and set aside.
- Slice the onion and saute in the oil till golden brown.
- Add the bay leaf and then the pork.
- Heat through.
- This makes lovely sandwiches too.