Recipe by AngiC
I spent months developing a tasty (and easy) wheat-free bread recipe, and this is my final product. This recipe also works really nicely with spelt flour, but I'm almost as allergic to spelt as I am to wheat and, of course, spelt is not gluten-free. I'm pretty sure kamut is. Please let me know if anyone has success making this recipe with any other alternate grain flours. The xanthan gum is a critical element to provide "slice-ability" without the bread crumbling apart.
- 4 cups kamut flour
- 2 teaspoons salt (I think this can be safely reduced, I like salt!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first three dry ingredients (flour, salt, xanthan gum).
- Combine the liquid ingredients (oil, honey, water) in a microwaveable bowl. Warm in microwave using 30 second increments until you can mix the liquids. Do not overheat - warm to the touch is best - hot water will kill the yeast.
- Add the liquid ingredients, dry ingredients, and yeast in the order specified by your bread machine manufacturer (mine is liquid on bottom, dry next, and yeast on top).
- Use a basic bread and light crust setting.