Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This was from Outpost Natural Foods. It looks so good that I wanted to post it and try soon! Recipe adapted (by Outpost) from The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen by Peter Berley. Prep time includes pre-cooking the grains.
Top Review by Cosmosticon
I made this as a salad to accompany chicken. Because I don't like it, I left out the fennel and the spelt berries, and because I didn't have any, I substituted an Italian blend of herbs for the sage and almonds for the pecans. I grated carrot and zucchini, diced red pepper and added the mixture of vegies as well as pressed garlic to the grains as they sat. The grains are very chewy done this way, but I ate it cool and it was delicious. I used the olive oil just to drizzle over the entire mix just before I served it. Yum!
- 118.29 ml wild rice
- 118.29 ml kamut (berries)
- 118.29 ml spelt berries
- 236.59 ml pecan pieces
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 236.59 ml carrot, diced
- 236.59 ml fennel bulb, diced
- 118.29 ml celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh sage, finely chopped
- sea salt
- 29.58 ml water
- 118.29 ml firmly packed fresh parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the grains, put grains in a large pot and cover with water to 3 inches above grains.
- Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, cover pot and allow grains to sit for 1 hour; drain into a colander and rinse under cold running water.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Over medium heat, warm olive oil and add onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add carrot, fennel, celery, garlic, sage, salt to taste and water.
- Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add prepared grains to vegetables and stir in toasted pecans, parsley and pepper to taste and serve.