1/1 Photo of Kalya E Khaas (Traditional South African Chicken Curry)
From: “The Africa News Cookbook, African Cooking for Western Kitchens”.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cinnamon sticks or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cardamom pods, slightly crushed or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 -4 whole cloves
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds or 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 -4 whole green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1 -4 tablespoon clarified butter (original is 1/4 cup) or 1 -4 tablespoon butter (original is 1/4 cup)
- 1 -4 tablespoon canola oil (original is 1/4 cup) or 1 -4 tablespoon olive oil (original is 1/4 cup)
- prune, added the last 15 minutes of cooking (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro, to garnish
- 1 sprig fresh mint, to garnish
- 1Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- 2Combine the yogurt, tomatoes, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, cumin, chilies, saffron, turmeric, cayenne, ginger, garlic and salt.
- 3Pour mixture over the chicken, turning the pieces until they are well coated.
- 4While they marinate, in a large heavy skillet or stew pot, fry the onions gently in the butter and oil until light, golden brown. Let onions cool slightly and crush them with the back of a spoon.
- 5Add entire contents of the marinating bowl. Simmer until chicken is tender, adding small amounts of water as needed to keep the contents from sticking.
- 6Garnish with cilantro and mint and serve with rice or Indian bread.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kalya E Khaas (Traditional South African Chicken Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.9
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 716.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns