Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 4 lbs veal (forequarter or shank)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Have the butcher crack the meat bones in several places.
- Place in a stockpot and cover with boiling water.
- Add vegetables and spices.
- Simmer until the meat falls off the bone.
- Drain, reserving broth.
- Remove all meat from bones and reserve.
- Return all the picked over particles and bones back to the broth; simmer until broth is reduced to one quart.
- Strain and set aside to cool.
- Skim off any fat.
- When the meat is nearly cold, cut into small dice.
- Add back to cooled broth with salt, pepper and vinegar; mix well.
- Spray a loaf pan lightly with cooking spray; turn meaty broth into pan and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Unmold and cut into slices for serving.