Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Chefs Russell Siu and James Gillespie of 3660 On The Rise and Kakaako Kitchen. The site wouldn't take moo shu wrappers, so the ingredient listed is wonton wrappers which would be too small for this.
Kalua Pork Quesadillas
- 3⁄4 cup kalua pork
- 3⁄4 cup sliced onion
- 3⁄4 cup napa cabbage, shredded (won bok)
- 12 wonton wrappers or 8 inches flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup clarified butter
Tomato and Avocado Salsa
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a skillet, saute kalua pork, onion, and won bok until done.
- On 6 of the mooshoo wrappers or tortillas, spread equal amounts of pork mixture, tomato, parsley, and cheese.
- Top with the remaining wrappers; press to seal.
- Combine garlic and butter.
- On surface unit of range, heat an oven-proof skillet, add a tablespoon of the garlic butter.
- Place a quesadilla in pan to brown.
- Flip quesadilla and place skillet in oven until cheese melts.
- Cook the remaining quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into quarters; top with Tomato and Avocado Salsa.
- Tomato and Avocado Salsa:.
- Combine all ingredients and serve with Kalua Pork Quesadillas.
- Makes 3 cups.
These were delicious, especially with that homemade salsa! A little tedious to make, and I used regular butter instead of clarified. Have no idea what kalua pork is, but I used pulled pork. Great way to sneak in a veggie, my kids loved the quesadillas and didn't ask about the cabbage being inside. Made this for celebrating Hawaii's independence, searched Hawaiin recipes. Loved the fact that this was different, but the real star was the salsa.