Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I found this recipe as I was searching for "cheap dinners." Mandy, the creator of this recipe uses the pork loin from Sam's Club that usually weighs in at 8lbs per loin for about $1.60 per pound. I wish I had found this recipe a couple months ago when I had bought one of those huge pork loins but didn't really know what to do with it! Cutting it into pork chops has worked well but my next pork loin will be used in this recipe. I had never heard of using plastic wrap in the oven but she proves it works and holds in all the moisture. (Servings are approximate) For the tutorial video, visit her site: http://www.gourmetmomonthego.com/2009/04/cheap-and-fabulous-freezer-dinners.html
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Cut pork loin in half.
- Lay out two large sheets of aluminum foil.
- Lay two large sheets of plastic wrap on top of foil.
- Place half of pork loin on the plastic wrap (this keeps the moisture in! It's an amazing slow-roasting secret!:)).
- Sprinkle generously with kosher salt and liquid smoke, rub all over pork loin.
- Wrap up plastic wrap tightly around pork loin and then wrap with aluminum foil.
- Place in large roasting pan.
- Repeat with other loin half.
- Bake at 225 degrees 7-10 hours until done. (Internal temp should be 195-200F for pulled pork.).
- Serve with soft rolls, cheese, bbq sauce, whatever your family likes. YUM!
- Divide leftovers into zip topped bags and freeze for future meals.
I had no idea a pork loin could be so good! We mixed it with our favorite BBQ sauce and ate half and freezed the other half. This is a keeper!