Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 hrs
This is a simple way of making traditional Hawaiian kalua pig without having to dig a hole in your back yard.
- Pierce pork all over with a carving fork.
- Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat.
- Place roast in a slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
- Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.
This recipe is legit! To stretch it out, add sliced cabbage for the last hour of cooking and stir it after a half hour. I always freeze the juices to pick out the fat and then add it back in and shred. I only do that because I don't like it slimy when I eat it for leftovers. Don't worry if you don't have Hawaiian sea salt because I honestly can't tell a difference.
can not believe no one has tried this. The meat was so tender with such good flavor. and so easy and fast to through in the cooker. I let it sit about a hour on warm than it sliced very well. Thank you Da Mama, this will be one of my go to EASY recipes.
This turned out great. I will definitely do it again. Thanks for making a culinary rookie look like a hero.