Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a spicy christmas version of the original kalter hund dessert. It uses speculaas or gingerbread men cookies to add a subtle spice. If you feel you might want some more holiday flavour, add some mixed spice or cinnamon to the chocolate cream mixture or serve this with a ginger flavoured whipped cream.
- 150 ml rice cream (soy might also work, but I have not tried that, can also use regular cream)
- 250 g bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 banana, sliced
- 100 g speculaas cookies (or try gingerbread men)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mixed spice (optional)
- Heat your rice cream on the stove-top or in the microwave (I used a microwave-safe bowl and heated the cream at 765 watts for 1:20 min).
- Add in the chocolate pieces (and mixed spice if using) and stir until smooth.
- Line a small loaf pan (about 7X3 inches) with cling film and start assembling your dessert by covering the base of the pan with chocolate.
- Continue by layering speculaas or gingerbread cookies, banana and chocolate into the pan until you have used up everything. The last layer should be chocolate (I got 9 layers in total).
- Place dessert in the fridge and chill for at least 3 hours, best overnight.
- Slice and enjoy. :) Its great with additional fruit.