Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From my collection of handwritten recipes 1964.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- About 2 1/2 hours before serving, heat dutch oven until very hot. Add butter, then short ribs. Cook over high heat until ribs are very well browned on all sides, about 20 minutes.
- To ribs, add onion slices; push them down into fat around ribs, then cook a minute or so, until browned. Now add salt, pepper, 1 teaspoons sugar, allspice, bay leaves, and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove ribs to heated platter and keep warm. Skim about 1/4 fat from surface of gravy; Also remove allspice and bay leaves. Stir 1/4 cup water into flour until smooth; slowly add, stirring, to gravy; cook until thickened. Stir in heavy cream, 1 teaspoons sugar, and enough water to make gravy as you like it, bring to a boil; then pour over ribs and serve.