Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is another childhood memory from growing up in a Swedish-American household. This should be served with boiled red potatoes, pickled beets, and lingonberries.
- 907.18 g beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 29.58 ml flour
- 22.18 ml butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 10-15 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 473.18 ml water
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Toss beef cubes in the flour mixture to coat.
- In a large dutch oven, cook the butter until just starting to brown.
- Add the meat and onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Add the bay leaves and allspice.
- Boil the water in a separate pan, then pour over the meat.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Check the water level occasionally, and add more if needed.
- When meat is tender, remove to a serving dish.
I prepared this as written and ended up with a flavourful, tender stew. I enjoyed the flavour imparted by the whole allspice. The stew needed to have more water added a couple of times while it was cooking. Thanks for sharing.