Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Before you say "ick" to tongue, ask yourself if you like brisket or corned beef. If your answer is yes then you'll love tongue, which has a very pleasant beefy flavor. Allow 1/4 to 1/2 pound of meat per serving. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Place tongues, bay leaves, onion, peppercorns and salt in a stockpot; cover with water.
- Cook until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove the skin and root ends; cut in half lengthwise.
- Strain liquid; add flour mixed with a little water and the horseradish.
- Cook until smooth, stirring constantly.
- Place tongues on a serving platter and pour sauce over.