Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in Deborah Madison's book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I used it as part of a meal that i was creating that needed to contain 45 or fewer carbs. My guests, one of whom who does not like kale, loved the mixture of the beans and the kale and really enjoyed this dish. Next time, I might make some croutons to sprinkle on top of it as well to give it a bit of crunch.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs kale or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs mixed greens, with ribs and stems removed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked cannellini beans, rinsed well if canned
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- Simmer the kale in salted water until tender, 7-10 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the cooking water, and chop the leaves.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in the oil with the garlic, pepper flakes, and rosemary for about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced to a syrupy sauce.
- Add the beans, kale, and enough of the cooking water to keep the mixture loose.
- Heat through, taste for salt and season with pepper and a dusting of Parmesan cheese.