1/1 Photo of Kale With Beans and Potatoes
1 hr 10 mins
Anne Sainz's Note:
This recipe was inspired by a kale side dish recipe I got from a friend. It is a very colorful and flavorful dish. I modified it to be more in keeping with a Nutritarian eating style and added beans and sunflower seeds to make it into a main course. You can reduce prep time by using pre-chopped or frozen kale, frozen onion and carrots and jarred garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped or 5 medium carrots
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups red potatoes, diced or 10 ounces red potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1Remove the center stem from the kale and discard. Wash and chop kale leaves and set aside. If you don't know how to remove the stems from kale, Google: remove kale stems.
- 2Prepare onion, pepper, carrots, garlic and potatoes. Combine with water and set aside.
- 3Combine tomatoes, beans, vinegar, rosemary and sunflower seeds and set aside.
- 4Coat large covered non-stick frying pan or Dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil. Add onion, pepper, carrots, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 min or until vegetables are tender.
- 6Add kale, cover and cook until kale is wilted.
- 7Add beans, vinegar, rosemary and sunflower seeds. Stir until heated through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kale With Beans and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.2
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 75.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium black beans