Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
The sweetness of the apples is balanced nicely with the tartness of the vinegar in this dish. This was adapted from a recipe from Whole Foods, modified to fit a Nutritarian eating style. You can reduce prep time by using pre-chopped or frozen kale, frozen onions and mushrooms and jarred garlic.
- 20 ounces kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium apples, cored, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Remove the center stem from the kale and discard. Wash and chop kale leaves and set aside. If you don't know how to remove the stems from kale, Google: remove kale stems.
- Coat large covered frying pan or dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, apples, cider vinegar and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender crisp, about 4 minutes, adding small amounts of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add as much kale as will fit in the pan and small amount of water if needed. Cover and cook until wilted and soft. Continue adding kale, stirring frequently, until it is all in the pan, adding water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Cook, covered, until kale is tender.
- Garnish with chopped walnuts.