1/1 Photo of Kale With Apples
Anne Sainz's Note:
The sweetness of the apples is balanced nicely with the tartness of the vinegar in this dish. This was adapted from a recipe from Whole Foods, modified to fit a Nutritarian eating style. You can reduce prep time by using pre-chopped or frozen kale, frozen onions and mushrooms and jarred garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 ounces kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium apples, cored, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1Remove the center stem from the kale and discard. Wash and chop kale leaves and set aside. If you don't know how to remove the stems from kale, Google: remove kale stems.
- 2Coat large covered frying pan or dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, apples, cider vinegar and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender crisp, about 4 minutes, adding small amounts of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- 3Add as much kale as will fit in the pan and small amount of water if needed. Cover and cook until wilted and soft. Continue adding kale, stirring frequently, until it is all in the pan, adding water as needed to prevent sticking.
- 4Cook, covered, until kale is tender.
- 5Garnish with chopped walnuts.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kale With Apples
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.6
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 66.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 8.5 g