1/1 Photo of Kale- Thornton Gran's Recipe
Tea Jenny's Note:
This soup has been handed down the family, and my Gran used to make it for our lunch and that's going back a bit, my sisters think mine is as good as Gran's, but I dont think anyone could make it like Gran as she made it on an old fireplace range and you could taste the smoke from the fire. It's a very warming delicious soup that will make you want more. Good for a cold day to warm you up but we have it all year round. It can get cold at night in summer here in Scotland and we have this for supper strange you might think but wait till you try it you will see.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 liters of very good beef stock
- 40 g pearl barley
- 40 g of marrow fat dried peas
- 40 g red lentils
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 350 g potatoes, diced
- 350 g turnips or 350 g swede, diced
- 250 g leeks, chopped
- 250 g of grated carrots
- 50 g of curly kale or 50 g dark green cabbage
- 2 teaspoons of rough pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1The night before you want your soup soak the barley, peas, and lentils in cold water overnight.
- 2Next morning, rinse the grains and put in a pot with the stock and cook on a low heat for about 1 hour.
- 3After the hour add the vegetables and the seasoning and cook for about 2 1/2 hours on a low heat.
- 4You can cook this in your slow cooker if you wish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kale- Thornton Gran's Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.7
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1974.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 10.1 g