1/1 Photo of Kale Soup
1 hr 45 mins
Anne Sainz's Note:
This is a combination of several Kale soup recipes I looked at, then modified to be in keeping with my Nutritarian eating style. The end result is a delicious soup with lots of flavor and healthy vegetables. It makes a big batch so there is plenty to freeze or eat another day. You can reduce prep time by using pre-chopped or frozen kale, frozen onion and mushrooms and jarred garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 5 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium small white beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1Remove the center stem from the kale and discard. Wash and chop kale leaves and set aside. If you don't know how to remove the stems from kale, Google: remove kale stems.
- 2Prepare garlic, onion and mushrooms and set aside.
- 3In a blender or food processor, puree 1 can of broth and 1 can of beans until smooth.
- 4Combine puree, kale, garlic, onion, mushrooms, remaining broth, beans, tomatoes and seasonings in a large soup pot (at least 6 quarts).
- 5Bring to a boil on moderately high heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning on the bottom.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kale Soup
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.4
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth