Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Rachael Ray
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium white waxy potatoes, like yukon golds, peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves or 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 lb kale, coarsely chopped
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (chick peas)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancan diced tomatoes
- 1 lb diced Portuguese chourico, casing removed and chopped
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- Heat oil in deep pot over medium heat. Add potatoes and onions. Cover and cook 5-minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, bay leaves and kale to the pot. Cover pot and wilt greens 2 minutes. Eason with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomatoes, chourico and broth to the pot and bring soup to a full boil.
- Reduce heat back to medium and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve soup with bread and butter.
Made some changes to fit ingredients on hand: Used 5 red potatoes and did not peel them. Quartered and sliced. Used a large leek, both white and green parts, instead of onions. Halved leek to rinse it well, then sliced thinly. Used 1/2 lb. sausage. I think it was a mild Andouille (unmarked from my freezer) microwaved to cook, then removed from casing and cut in thin pieces. I used beef broth instead of chicken broth, and at the end added one teaspoon of smoked paprika which added great depth of flavor. The potatoes do stick to the pan! I'll try to watch them more closely next time. Next time I will omit bay leaves. I didn't think they added that much, and they were hard to find and fish out amongst all that kale. Not fun to chew if you miss a piece! Soup looks comforting and tastes great. I will make this again, thanks so much!
EXCELLENT SOUP! I substituted the can of tomatoes for 2 cans of Hot Rotel to give it some kick, and turkey summer sausage for the chourico to cut down on the calories. I also added a can of corn. Turned out amazing!