Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Eating Well magazine.
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 (12 ounce) packageprecooked chicken sausage
- 1 large onion, thinkly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1 cup lentils, preferably French green
- 12 cups kale, chopped and stems removed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In large skillet, heat 1 tsp of the oil over medium heat and cook sausages until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- Add remaining 2 tsp oil and the onion to pan and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add water and wine, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add lentils, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, partially covered 40 minutes.
- Add kale, sage and salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and kale are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Slice sausages and stir into pan along with pepper.
- Cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.