Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
In a surprising twist, Tuscan kale is served raw—and makes for a substantial and satisfying winter salad. Be sure to choose bunches of Tuscan kale with small leaves, which are more tender. I adapted the recipe from one I found in this month's "Bon Appétit" (February 2009). It's by acclaimed chef Dan Barber, of New York's famous Blue Hill restaurants. Allow the currants to marinated for at least a few hours. After that, this dish takes minutes to throw together.
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 7 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bunches tuscan kale, center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- parmesan cheese, shavings
- Place currants in small bowl; add 5 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar. Let soak overnight. Drain currants.
- Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, oil, and salt in large bowl. Add kale, currants, and pine nuts; toss to coat.
- Let marinate 20 minutes at room temperature, tossing occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese shavings over salad and serve.
This was surprisingly good!. the secret is the macerating and very narrow slicing of the kale. Could not find the Tuscan kale but the ordinary curly worked fine.Loaded with antioxidants!
This recipe, which was originally published by Dan Barber in Bon Appetit (February 2009), was made by my niece for Thanksgiving yesterday. We were a little low on kale and had to augment it with some Swiss chard from the garden, and it was very good. It can sit at room temperature for quite awhile while other items are being prepared, the wait allows it to fully macerate. We had it with a free-range turkey, a veggie-loaded stuffing, cranberry-port jelly, Roasted Butternut Squash, Red Grapes and Sage, and a frozen pumpkin mousse pie. A memorable meal.