Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This easy-to-make soup is packed with flavor. It's kind of a hybrid between a Portuguese Kale Soup and Minestrone.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow summer squash, diced in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, including the juice
- 1 bunch kale, cut into small pieces, ribs and stems removed
- 1 cup elbow macaroni (Barilla Plus brand is ideal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 links fully-cooked chicken sausage (I used roasted garlic flavor)
- parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on each serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Saute the onion and yellow squash for a few minutes until just starting to color.
- Add the sage, Italian seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the chicken broth, kidney beans and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer 15 minutes, partly covered.
- Add chopped kale and simmer 15 minutes more, partly covered.
- Slice the chicken sausage into 1/4" slices and brown it lightly in a large skillet.
- Add the sausage slices, elbow macaroni and red pepper flakes to the soup pot and simmer until macaroni and kale are tender, about 15 minutes more, partly covered.
- Finish with freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on each serving.