Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Kale provides a striking contrast to the smooth consistency of this hearty and satisfying chowder. [This recipe is not one of my creations.]
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, minced
- 5 cups vegetable stock or 5 cups cold water
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups chopped kale leaves, heavy stems removed and washed
- sea salt
- fresh ground white pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup cashew pieces
- Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- For three minutes saute the sweet potato, red pepper, celery, onion, and carrots.
- Thoroughly combine the thyme and tumeric with the vegetables.
- Add the vegetable stock (or cold water) and tomato and simmer for five minutes.
- Add desired amount of cayenne pepper.
- In a blender or food processor, blend 3/4 cup of broth from the large pot with the cashews and cornstarch.
- When smooth, pour the contents of the blender into the soup and continue simmering for three minutes, stirring often.