Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Engine 2 cookbook, this is one of their most popular recipes. It asks for the kale to be massaged. And that means really squishing the fibers with your hands to soften them. The leaves are waxy, so massaging them with the salt and lemon juice makes them much tastier.
- 1 bunch kale, leaves stripped off spines. Spines discarded
- 1 large avocado, peeled (or two small)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 purple onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mandarin orange segments (about 3 oranges)
- Throw the chopped kale leaves in a large bowl with the avocado, lemon juice, salt and red pepper flakes. Mash and masage the avocado into the kale with your hands until the avocado is spread evenly and the kale leaves are softened.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Let sit for 30 minutes if you can. But if not, dive in!