Recipe by Hinkle
I hated kale until a friend gave me a bunch from her garden and this recipe. I added a few ingredients. At dinner my husband ate two servings and asked me to make it again. Success!
Top Review by jennyblender
This is great! I made the mistake of leaving some of the kale stems. Don't do that! It makes it tough and fibrous. OTherwise this was a 5 star for health and delicious flavor!!! Thanks so much Hinkle!!
- 1 bunch fresh kale, washed and stemmed
- 14 ounces canned white beans, rinsed and drained (I used navy beans)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup asiago cheese, sliced thinly (I used a vegetable peeler)
Directions See How It's Made
- If you can get fresh kale from a garden, wash it, shake off excess water, and store it in a partially airtight container in the frig for 3-4 days. As it "ages," it sweetens.
- Heat the olive oil slowly in a large frying pan.
- While the oil is heating, chop the kale in large strips. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic over medium-low heat until they begin to turn color. Do not burn.
- Throughout the rest of this prepartion do not overheat the oil. Medium should be the right temperature.
- Stir in the brown sugar, oregano, and thyme. Stir gently for another minute or two until the sugar has disappeared.
- If you need to add a bit more olive oil, do so at this point. You need a thin layer of hot oil covering the bottom of the pan.
- Stir the chopped kale into the hot oil mix. Kale may look to be too much to fit in the pan, but be patient; as you stir it in, it begins to wilt down to a manageable size. Stir the kale gently for a few minutes, just long enough to cook it down a bit. Do not let it become soft.
- Stir in the drained, rinsed beans, the balsamic vinegar, and the salt.
- Lay the tomato slices on top.
- Lay the thinly sliced asiago cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Turn off heat or turn down very low, cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Serve hot.