Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Portuguese soup, in a vegetarian-friendly style. If you do want meat flavor, substitute the vegetable stock for chicken or beef stock.
- 1 large baking potato, cut into eighths
- 1 garlic clove, lightly smashed
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups fresh kale leaves, stripped from stalks and rinsed before chopping
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- ground black pepper
- Combine the potato, garlic, and 2 cups stock in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Cook until the potato is soft, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. (This step can be done up to 2 days in advance.).
- While the potato mix is cooking, cook the kale and remaining stock with marjoram (or oregano) and bay leaf. Simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Purée the potato mixture. The mixture will be thick. Stir into the simmering kale mixture, season with salt and pepper and heat through.
- Serve immediately.