WI Cheesehead's Note:
From the local paper. Warm comfort food. I used red potatoes and they turned out well. I adjusted the recipe a little.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- 2Wash, derib and coarsely chop the kale.
- 3Place in a pot with a little bit of water and steam until almost tender, 5 minutes or so. Check to make sure it's not burning.
- 4Peel and cut potatoes and onions into 1/8-inch thick rounds.
- 5If desired, saute onions until lightly browned. It gives more flavor, I think.
- 6Drain kale and let stand until cool enough to handle. Press out excess water.
- 7Build up alternating layers of potatoes, onions and kale (two layers each) in baking dish, beginning and ending with potatoes and dotting each onion layer with butter, minced tarragon, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- 8Pour half-and-half over top, cover and bake in oven until potatoes are tender and almost all liquid is absorbed, 30-45 minutes.
- 9Place under broiler, if desired, to brown the top.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kale and Potato Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.7
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 285.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 6.6 g