Recipe by ellie_
Even using whole milk and full fat ingredients, this is fairly low cal, but if fat-free or low fat alternatives this would be a great low cal/low fat brunch or lunch dish. Recipe source: local newspaper
- 1 prepared 9 inch pie shell
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 green onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.
- Tear off a piece of foil large enough to fit inside of pie crust and then press it into the pie crust and fill with dried beans. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and discard foil and beans. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, milk, salt, red pepper flakes (if using) and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet on medium high heat oil and butter and add onions and garlic, cooking until softened (3-5 minutes). Stir in kale and cook stirring until wilted (5 minutes).
- Spoon vegetables into crust and sprinkle with cheese. Pour egg/milk mixture over all.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set.