1/2 Photos of Kale and Bean Soup
This recipe is from my web-site ( www.portuguese-recipes.com ).It has many variations this is my rendition of it.It's a great meatless soup but you can always add sausage or even stew beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 -8 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups kale, chopped if fresh (you can use frozen 2 or 3 pkgs. or if canned use 2 to 3 cans)
- you can substitute spinach, swiss chard, mustard greens, cabbage, turnip greens, collard greens (these work well)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans white beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes or 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
- 1In a large pot, heat olive oil then add garlic and onion.
- 2Sauté these ingredients until soft.
- 3Add kale and sauté until wilted.
- 4Add 3 cups of the broth, 2 cups of beans, tomatoes, herbs,salt and pepper.
- 5Simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6Use a blender, or what have you, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth.
- 7I bet your asking why, its to thicken the soup.
- 8Mix into soup.
- 9Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 10Serve it up in bowls and dress with parsley.
- 11For Vegetarians use the vegetable broth.
- 12Thanks for all the great reviews. All the substitutions and ideas are wonderful. I will try most of them myself. Again thanks. Gil2 ( www.Portuguese-recipes.com).
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kale and Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.4
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 802.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 25.2 g