Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Food & Wine recipe, from chef Ryan Hardy.
Make and share this Kale and Apple Salad With Pancetta and Candied Pecans recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups pecans
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces thickly sliced pancetta, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caper brine (from a jar of capers)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 granny smith apples, cut into matchstick julienne
- 1 head radicchio, large, shredded
- 8 ounces kale (1 bunch, stems discarded, leaves finely shredded)
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 ounces pecorino cheese, shaved
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, cover the pecans with water. Transfer to a sieve and shake out the water. In another bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar, cayenne and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Add the pecans and toss. Transfer to a sieve and shake off the excess coating. Arrange the pecans on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the sugar is lightly caramelized and the pecans are golden.
- In a skillet, heat the oil with the pancetta and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the pancetta is browned, 6 minutes. Strain the pan drippings into a large bowl; whisk in the vinegar, caper brine and maple syrup and season the dressing with salt and black pepper. Add the apples, radicchio, kale, chives, tarragon and pecorino and toss. Mound the salad on plates, garnish with the pecans and pancetta and serve.