Recipe by KateL
Used this on the tenderloin of a trophy elk, marinated for 24 hours, and it succeeded beyond all expectations - superb! From "Jim Zumbo's Amazing Venison Recipes". Generally, best to serve medium-rare. Good for elk and deer.
Top Review by rosie316
Well, okay... "We have a winner here"!!! Finally a venison recipe that does not taste gamey at all. Woo-hoo!!! Hubby is an avid hunter, and always goes for the trophy bucks (which the meat isn't the best). I was so glad to have found a recipe that makes it enjoyable to eat an 'older gentleman'. I did not have any loin steaks left in the freezer, but I did have some back straps (better than a loin to start with). These were so tasty and tender (I think the overnight marinating did that). The only other thing that I had done differently was that I only had minced ginger root, so I used just shy of a teaspoon. It worked out just fine. This is definitely a keeper (he's bound and determined to snag another one this season). Thanks for posting this treasure of a find. P.S. I googled "Jim Zumbo's: Amazing Venison Recipes" cookbook. I'm trying to get a copy in the next 2 weeks to surprise hubby with on Christmas. I bought him "The Complete Venison Cookbook" by Harold W. Webster, Jr. a couple years ago that has many good recipes, also. You may want to check that book out as well, KateL. (Made for PRMR)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs venison loin steaks, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 6 slices gingerroot, 1/8-inch thick
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, up to 3/4 cup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped tops
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the ginger root, garlic, onion, soy sauce and sugar in a blender and blend until smooth (about 30 seconds). Taste marinade and add additional soy sauce to mellow the flavor if desired.
- Place venison in a glass casserole dish and pour the marinade over the venison. Sprinkle sesame seed and green onions on top. cover with plastic wrap. For best results, marinate overnight.
- Grill venison based on preference of well, medium, or rare.
- Serves 4.