4 hrs 20 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
I like to use boneless beef ribs for this, so I guess it's somewhere between kalbi and bulgogi. Don't be put off by the long ingredient list--it's really not at all difficult to make. You can use this marinade for kalbi (thin strips of beef short ribs), bulgogi (thinly sliced beef), or on chicken. This recipe freezes well, too, though I would recommend sticking with thicker cuts of meat to freeze.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless short ribs, rinsed & patted dry (or other meats as described above)
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 -4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted and crushed
- fresh ground pepper
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced (including some of the tops)
- 1 fresh chili pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (gochu jang) or 1 1/2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce (gochu jang) or 1 1/2 tablespoons hot soybean paste (gochu jang)
- 1Combine all ingredients except ribs in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. Add ribs and seal bag, squeezing out excess air.
- 2Work sauce into ribs by kneading bag (be careful not to poke a hole in it).
- 3Marinade several hours (no more than 4 if using very thin meat, such as for sukiyaki), or freeze.
- 4To cook: If frozen, thaw first by placing in refrigerator the day before.
- 5Drain meat, reserving marinade.
- 6Grill over medium-hot coals until done to taste (time will vary depending on meat used).
- 7Meanwhile, place reserved marinade in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- 8I like to serve this sliced, over rice topped with shredded cabbage (I use undressed coleslaw salad mix), with the sauce drizzled on top. Kimchi makes a good side dish, too.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kalbi
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1047.0
- Calories from Fat 809
- Total Fat 89.9 g
- Saturated Fat 35.5 g
- Cholesterol 163.3 mg
- Sodium 1532.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 34.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: