Recipe by Member #610488
Recipe from a friend's mother and served while working in the US Virgin Islands.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 lb pig's foot, salted
- 1 lb salt beef
- 1 lb ham, uncooked
- 1⁄2 lb conch, pounded
- 1 lb fish, deboned
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 3 lbs spinach or 3 lbs mixed greens
- 12 okra
- 1 eggplant
- hot pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak meats overnight in cold water to remove excess fat and salt. Cook meat and conchs in 2 qts water till soft.
- When meat is half cooked, add fish and crab and continue cooking till meat is tender.
- Peel eggplant. Add to pot with meat mixture. When soft, remove and chop fine. Return to pot.
- Wash greens, and chop fine or put through grinder.
- Cut up okras and add with greens to meat and eggplant mixture.
- Cook till greens become a dark green color. Continue to cook about 5 minutes longer. Taste, add a little salt if needed, and hot pepper if desired. If mixture is too thick, add 1-2 cups water.