Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The amount of broth this recipe makes is the bare minimum for 2 servings, so if you want more broth, you might want to adjust the recipe.
- 6 ounces udon noodles (or 2 servings)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dashi (Japanese fish stock)
- 2 tablespoons mirin, plus
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- green onion, chopped
- fish cake, sliced (kamaboko)
- toasted sesame seeds
- tempura scraps (tenkasu)
- shichimi togarashi (Japanese 7-spice pepper)
- Heat a large pot of water for cooking the udon noodles.
- Meanwhile, bring dashi to a simmer. Add mirin, soy sauce and salt (optional). Continue simmering until ready to use.
- Cook the udon noodles according to the package instructions.
- Divide drained, cooked udon into two large, deep serving bowls.
- Top with grated ginger, chopped green onion, and fish cake slices (optional).
- Pour in simmering broth to fill both bowls.
- Top with optional toasted sesame seeds, shichimi togarashi, and/or tenkasu.
- Drinking all the broth is not recommended. Additional noodles can be added to the remaining broth in the bowl as desired.