Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Breads of the World. Posted for ZWT6.
Make and share this Kaisersemmeln (Emperor Rolls) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon malt extract
- 5 cups flour, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, for baking sheets
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Add sugar, malt extract and 2 cups flour.
- Blend well.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Add milk, salt and remaining flour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in a large buttered bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down.
- Break off egg-sized pieces, and shape into buns.
- Take each bun and pull corners of dough upwards, twisting to form a topknot.
- Place on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake rolls until light brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
I know Kaisersemmelnn from my childhood and these definitely brought back memories! I liked the directions as they were easy to follow and they came out great. I will make those a lot! Thank you so much for sharing! Made for ZWT6 PS. I alos love the fact that the spelling is correct;-)