Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Supposedly the recipe for the Kaisergulyas made at the Restaurant Kerzenstubel in Vienna, Austria. Found typewritten in my Grandmother's recipe box. Easy to make and tasty too.
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb veal, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice lemon
- 4 capers, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon flour
- chicken stock
- Chop the onions and bacon. Fry together over high heat until golden brown.
- Stir in the paprika and add veal, stiring to coat all sides of veal cubes.
- Add salt, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add lemon slice and capers.
- Mix sour cream with flour and stir into the meat.
- Add sufficient stock to make a medium thick sauce.
- Simmer gently until meat is tender.
- Remove lemon slice and serve.