Recipe by Gragegrl
This is based on a great recipe called "Wonderful Homemade Kaiser Rolls!" found here on recipezaar from ChipoltleChic. I made some modifications so I could make the recipe in my bread machine and swapped out the original Crisco for Butter and some Whole Wheat flour for some of the White flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 egg whites (beaten until stiff)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (you can substitute white and leave out the wheat gluten below)
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (aids in rising, not necessary)
- 1 tablespoon bread machine yeast
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- poppy seeds (optional) or sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT 1 Egg White and 2 tablespoons milk, those are for the egg wash. Place in machine in the order listed above or as described by your bread machine manual.
- Set machine to "DOUGH" cycle.
- After machine cycle stops take dough out and divide into eight balls on a lightly oiled surface. Shape dough into rolls by rolling flat and imprinting with a Kaiser stamp or by using this easy roll and knot technique from King Arthur Flour- http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2008/02/28/all-tied-up-shaping-kaiser-rolls/. Transfer rolls to baking sheet.
- Cover with a warm lightly damp towel and allow to rest for thirty minutes. Preheat oven to 4255 degrees F.
- Glaze tops of rolls with egg white mixture and top with seeds (optional).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees F or until golden brown.