Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Black River clams are sold in open air markets throughout Fiji. Kai means clams in Fijian. Any fresh clams make a wonderful substitutes. If you are using Black River clams, make sure to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until they are tender. From Sam Choy's Polynesian Kitchen.
- Clean clams and rinse.
- Place clams in a pot with the water.
- Simmer until clams open.
- Remove from heat.
- Strain the clam stock and set aside.
- In a separate pot, heat the butter, and add the diced onion and garlic.
- Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the flour, and cook for 1 minute.
- Do not brown.
- Slowly stir in the clam stock.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, add the coconut milk, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Divide soup among bowls.
- Just before serving, add clams, and garnish with the chopped green onion.