Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe my mother and grandmother used to make when I was younger. Evertime I went to a party or a dinner when I was younger this seemed to be on the table. It seemed to be something everyone made years ago. Mind you I never quite liked it, but years later when my kids went to their grandmothers MIL, she made it for them, and from then on they would always ask her to make this for them when the went. They loved it and still do! My MIL always added corn and carrots or whatever vegetables she had on hand when she made it
- Fry onion in large saucepan in oil until golden.
- Brown mince in oil. (I usually drain the escess fat off).
- Add soup mix, curry powder, rice and boiling water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and broccoli, celery and simmer a further 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage and turn off heat. Leave to stand 5 minutes and serve.
This is a variation of a favourite from my childhood days and still make it on occasion. It's a great winter meal. Left overs are great for lunch too, especially with some buttered bread. I like a handful of raisins added as they swell and add a sweetness to the meal.
I have never heard of this before & loved the amount of veg that it had in it. The kids powered through this & had seconds. Very enjoyable & warming family meal. Cheers!!
I had this 20 odd years ago when a friend's mother cooked it, for some reason it stuck in my mind and was re-introduced to it through this recipe. Its now a family fave.